[kwlug-disc] YAK Internet + Home Phone deal for Kitchener

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sun Apr 25 18:47:30 EDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 6:17 PM, Colin Mackay <zixiekat at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is my speed test:
>
> http://www.speedtest.net/result/794189427.png

It's sitting at about 4.3Mbps, which is no more than I got with Bell.
> Downloading hits 550kB/sec.  I'm happy with the speed.  I'm a patient
> man that came from the days of 300 baud modems, so I don't mind
> waiting for files to download.

That is kind of slow. About half the speed of Rogers.

Here is mine:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/794206388.png

I get 1 MB/sec regularly.

If Rogers did not have cap (60GB in my case), which I occasionally exceed, I
would have stayed with them. That, and the fact that the phone is a POTS
line with free features thrown in ...

The big reason I moved, was the
> torrenting.  I torrent whenever there is an option to torrent and in
> the free software realm, there is a lot out there.  I tend to help out
> by downloading Linux distros and letting them sit and seed for a while
> as well.
>
> I've had Yak for a week and have not really seen any issues.  Phone
> quality is as good as can be expected from a phone line and since it's
> a POTS line, I can use a phone that's actually powered off the line if
> needed.
>
> >From what I can tell, port 25 is being blocked.  I tried a few servers
> out there, but consistently could not connect.  Anyone know an open
> SMTP server I can connect to for testing?
>
> Installation
>
> Yak performed no in home installation at all as I did not get one of
> their modems.  I have a SpeedTouch Extended Range DSL modem that I
> use.  They only have someone come out if you get a modem from them.
>
> This is the ADSL / POTS splitter that Bell installed:
>
> http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=Universal+ADSL%2FVDSL+Indoor+POTS+Splitter&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=
> PDF:
> http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=2&ved=0CBIQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hometech.com%2Fpdf%2Fcc-cpsdt0a_1.pdf&ei=3L7US_2QMISBlAfqktzsDA&usg=AFQjCNG6fEyPxjRR6bIPC9cYAXLrnCTHxw&sig2=q62--WIVBD6W9Km-uaJF0g
>
> The terminals on the side are spring loaded.  Strip the wire, push
> down on the terminal, insert the wire and release.  Filters the whole
> home, then you just run an unfiltered line to the DSL modem.  No more
> filters hanging around.

Thanks for the details. Very helpful.

> On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 4:01 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 3:42 PM, <zixiekat at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> 1. Haven't checked if port 25 is blocked outbound.
> >>
> >> 2. Yes, they are required for any DSL line, from what I understand.  I
> do
> >> have a DSL splitter/filter at the demarcation point in my home. That was
> >> installed by Bell. I'll see if I can dig up some information on it.
> >
> > So, Yak did not install them because you already had one there? What if
> > there is none. Is it part of the installation that they do?
> >

> >> 3. No issues with the phone or internet connection that I have noticed.
> >
> > Good to hear.
> >

> >> I am not being throttled, that's for sure. No usage based billing.
> >
> > Excellent.
> >

> >> I'll go into more detail when I get a full sized keyboard.
> >
> > Looking forward to it.
> >

> >> Sent from my BlackBerry.

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.