[kwlug-disc] Newbie... Playing with Linux etc...

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Mon Apr 12 12:40:40 EDT 2010

----- "Michael Savage" <msavageca at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Well what would you suggest then? I was looking at what's happenig in
> the world of the web, and it seems to be mostly MySQL. I a gree this
> might not be the best solution.
>
> I've played with Postgres in Windows and had a little success with it,
> in transalting my old app into this platform, however I never did get
> the time to devote to it.
>
> Thanks again,
> Mike
>
> --- On Mon, 4/12/10, Terrence Enger <tenger at iseries-guru.com> wrote:
>
> > mysql is just one of the databases that run on Linux.
> > You can choose a
> > better one.

Be careful of general claims of "better". Generalizations are always wrong (anyone see the irony in that?) Who is MySQL better for, what solution is it better for, better in what way?

MySQL is the fastest SQL on the planet. It use to sacrifice features for speed but I'm told it now supports views and transactions and other features programmers won't live without.

MySQL is also the most widely used SQL database on the planet, so finding skills, support and acceptance is generally easy. Most  open source software package default to MySQL and many don't claim to support any other DB.

Regardless of what you choose you should consider making your application SQL neutral. Abstract the SQL library calls and SQL itself so that you can change databases more easily. If you don't want to abstract it then you might want to consider which database fits your solution best or which database your customers prefer or are already running and make a choice based on that.

Only you can determine what is best for you.

--
John Van Ostrand
CTO, co-CEO

Linux Solutions / IBM Hardware