[kwlug-disc] Newbie... Playing with Linux etc...

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Mon Apr 12 12:41:30 EDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Michael Savage <msavageca at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Well what would you suggest then? I was looking at what's happenig in the world of the web, and it seems to be mostly MySQL. I a gree this might not be the best solution.
>
> I've played with Postgres in Windows and had a little success with it, in transalting my old app into this platform, however I never did get the time to devote to it.

I suggest you ignore any non-specific guidance based on non-specific
questions.  Terence is likely making a "joke".

This happens a lot in the F/LOSS world.  Those with a preference for
either mysql or postgres, vi or emacs, Ubuntu or Fedora, or any of the
other many options that you have in front of you may choose to blindly
express their support for one or another, without regard to the
requirements of the person asking the question.  This happens most
often when a question is non-specific, or too general to be answered.
As an example:

"My computer is broken.  How do I fix it?"

"Get a Mac."

Not helpful.  Supposed to be funny.  If everybody is on the same page,
they all get a chuckle.

Terence's post is just an example of this trend in the F/LOSS
community and others.  I don't intend to pick on him.

The other posts are similar though.  You've stated your background and
some wishes in general terms.  Some have replied with their experience
and observations.  Also in general terms.  Others have said, "try
this, I like it."  All of this, you'll have to filter through the lens
of "I've not provided all of the facts; they are answering in
generalities."  We're not being opaque.  We're hedging our bets.  ;-)

I think it is serious business to tell a new Linux user to use The One
True Distro (That's the one I use, of course) because I then become
responsible for their every issue with the distro.  I also risk
recommending The One True Distro based on my biases and ignorance.
Ignorance of the requirements and expectations of the newcomer are the
worst part.  They'll bite first.

So, guidance?

Attend LUG meetings and especially the after meeting discussion and
refreshments.  Discuss.  Describe your context to the best of your
ability.  Ask questions.  Try things and prepare to try different
things.  All of this is part of participating in the community.
Participating on the list is important and helpful as well, but
attending and meeting folks face-to-face is a knowledge oxidizer.