[kwlug-disc] Future of [Rogers] PVR (wrt HDMI)? Black boxes? MythBuntu?

L.D. Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Fri Sep 18 10:42:42 EDT 2009

Karmic Alpha 6 is out and the associated Mythbuntu is based on mythtv
0.22.  What this gets you (among other things) is support for the
Hauppauge HD-PVR capture device and hardware accelerated playback of
video with nvidia graphics hardware.

I have this setup running on an Acer Revo and Rogers HD cable with
really good results.  Even though it is only an Atom processor, HD
playback over HDMI is only around 20% CPU since it is offloaded to the
GPU.  There are a few bugs - it is alpha - but everything has "just
worked". In fact, the problems I have been having are database issues
rather than anything with the newly supported hardware. The only part of
the system not working yet is IR support for the remote or blaster.

Anyway, back to watching TV and submitting bug reports.  Supporting open
source projects can be hard work sometimes...

At the end of the day, OTA HD would be preferable, but I don't think
we'll see channels like TSN, Discovery or HDnet OTA anytime soon.