[kwlug-disc] Future of [Rogers] PVR (wrt HDMI)? Black boxes? MythBuntu?

Fri Sep 18 23:00:52 EDT 2009

On September 17, 2009 04:52:54 pm Paul Gallaway wrote:
> There are better options than the Digiwave. Some of which you mention
> later. Jason already posted this link in this thread but see here for
> results posted by people in KW and surrounding areas:
> http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=94075

I read through most of it, but what I didn't get out of it was what was
needed to hit ONE tower.  I'm not interested in the CM4228, as I don't
need multidirectional.

> See this thread for recommended antennas which is based on testing
> results from hobbyists who have done real world tests with the
> different antennas and not just based on the literature from the
> manufactures (which you may be surprised to know is often
> exaggerated...):
> http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=97121

Yeah, I see what they're saying there and I might be throwing my money out the
window for a test, but I think I'm going to try ANT-2190 for $40 with an amp
and see what I can do.  Worst case I'll give the antenna to my brother and buy
the 91XG as recommended in that post, but if I can save $40, I'll try.  :-)

> I acquired a DB8 (because I did not want to modify the CM4228 balun)
> and seems from this thread there are a few others on this list working
> on similar TV solutions. Not that post conversion it may be beneficial
> to have a VHF antenna as it appears some of the local stations will be
> switching to VHF frequencies.

I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.  I don't think I'll ever need more
than a paperclip to pick up CKCO.  :-)

-A.