[kwlug-disc] Future of [Rogers] PVR (wrt HDMI)? Black boxes? MythBuntu?

Paul Gallaway pgallaway at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 16:52:54 EDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Andrew Kohlsmith (Mailing List
Account) <aklists at mixdown.ca> wrote:
> On September 16, 2009 02:03:39 pm Jason Locklin wrote:
>> I'd love to year how it goes, planning on doing something similar
>> myself. Looks like all the digital channels we may be able to pick up
>> are UHF, so no need for a big VHF antenna (UHF-only antennas are often
>> cooler looking anyway IMHO).
>> http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=109935
>
> I'm currently looking at these from Digiwave:

There are better options than the Digiwave. Some of which you mention
later. Jason already posted this link in this thread but see here for
results posted by people in KW and surrounding areas:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=94075
See this thread for recommended antennas which is based on testing
results from hobbyists who have done real world tests with the
different antennas and not just based on the literature from the
manufactures (which you may be surprised to know is often
exaggerated...):
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=97121

I acquired a DB8 (because I did not want to modify the CM4228 balun)
and seems from this thread there are a few others on this list working
on similar TV solutions. Not that post conversion it may be beneficial
to have a VHF antenna as it appears some of the local stations will be
switching to VHF frequencies.