[kwlug-disc] linky

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Fri Oct 30 13:37:10 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 12:57 -0400, Chris Bruner wrote:
> Richard Weait wrote:
> > http://torrent.ubuntu.com:6969/
> >
> Well I installed and played with it last night, and found a couple of
> issues.
>
> 1. Grub is handled for you now. So you can't easily set the default OS,
> and you can't name the os's that you are booting.

They are using grub2 now. It reads from several files now (one of which
probes for operating systems) when generating the config. These are
sourced from /etc/grub.d/ . I have not sat down to really learn the
ins-and-outs of configuring the new grub yet, aside from turning on the
highres boot prompt in /etc/default/grub.

From /etc/grub.d/README:

"""
All executable files in this directory are processed in shell expansion
order.

  00_*: Reserved for 00_header.
  10_*: Native boot entries.
  20_*: Third party apps (e.g. memtest86+).

The number namespace in-between is configurable by system installer
and/or
administrator.  For example, you can add an entry to boot another OS as
01_otheros, 11_otheros, etc, depending on the position you want it to
occupy in
the menu; and then adjust the default setting via /etc/default/grub
"""

> 2. Dual head system seems broken. (this might be an nvidia problem, but
> my other Linux OS can handle it with the same drivers)

I may pull out an old monitor to try on my desktop. I know I've had
issues attaching an external display to my intel-based laptop, but I
think that is a probing issue with my KVM.

If you're using the nouveau or nv driver, this is a bug. If you're using
the nvidia binary driver, I think they still want you to use their
nvidia-settings utility and xorg.conf.

> 3. They are using pulse audio I think. When you switch between
> applications there is an audible pop.

Ubuntu has been using pulse for several releases now. I haven't noticed
any issues switching between applications.

What I have noticed is that audio hardware is powered down when idle.
This should save a bit more power on laptops, etc. Unfortunately,
certain audio hardware pops when powered back up. I seem to recall
somebody seeing if there was a way to stop it, but I think it comes down
to the components used and/or design of the audio device. My intel hda
audio on my laptop pops, albeit quietly. Apparently some other intel
cards do not.

--
Chris Irwin
e:  chris at chrisirwin.ca