[kwlug-disc] Hacker space starting in K/W region?

Daniel Allen dada.da at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 17:49:13 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 12:09 PM, Charles M <chaslinux at gmail.com> wrote:

Leigh told me there is a space in Kitchener and I remember the post,

Yup- they're at http://www.kwartzLab.ca and opened their doors at the
beginning of October.
>From their calendar, tonight (Tuesday) is an open night, and I'm planning to
finally get down to check it out.
283 Duke St W, Unit 106. - not so far from the Working Centre really.

initial buy in was something like 500 bucks initial payment and
> $50-$100/month. It seemed a bit expensive especially considering we
> have quite a few resources here...
>

>From their site, it's actually $100 deposit and $50/month.

You've got a lot of great resources in Computer Recycling. My understanding
is that the hackerspace wants to broaden the mandate from just working on
computers, to "whatever hacking projects members are interested in." Which
doesn't deny the useful overlap between the two.

Actually Daniel I'm more than open to having people come into The
> Working Centre's Computer Recycling and do this, but I'd also be happy
> to work in conjunction with whatever hackerspace gets set up.
>
> We often give our recycler parts that could be used in hackerspace
> projects (as Rob Day can attest to). We recycle lots of useful parts
> (LEDs, serial connections) just to make space for desktop systems and
> parts Computer Recycling needs.

If I make it to kwartzlab's open house tonight, I will mention this to the
folks there and report back to you whatever conversation happens. As you
say, there is lots of good potential for collaboration.  Just needing
person-power to do the work involved!

-Daniel