[kwlug-disc] Ubuntu 9.10 release party at Kwartzlab

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Mon Oct 5 14:24:23 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 01:18:50PM -0400, Darcy Casselman wrote:

> What would you like to see out of a release party?  Would you be
> interested in doing a short (5-15 min) demo of a nifty desktop app or
> a useful tool?  Do you have any other suggestions on how we can make
> this successful?

If you held it a little past the release month I could put it in the
kwlug-announce monthly reminder, but that is not great incentive.

Given that I helped organize a similar exercise in September, here are
some lessons:

  - We found that the installfest was kind of dead. There were maybe
    5 (and no more than 10) people who got software installed on their
    machines.

  - Having a few wacky machines on which to install Karmic might be a
    draw.

  - The talks and demos seemed to go over pretty well.

  - Making sure people label the stuff they bring to the installfest
    is pretty important.

Personally, I would like a release party to somehow make sure
Canonical doesn't go broke and fold in a few years. But that might be
asking a lot, even for KWartzlab.

What is your target audience for the event?

- Paul