[kwlug-disc] Topics for future meetings

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Nov 4 22:01:35 EST 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 7:08 PM, Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 11:53:46PM -0500, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> > Here are some topics that I would be interested in attending.
> >
> >   * Paul Nijjar's GNU screen (1 hour?). Very useful tool that I have
> >   been using for years, yet there is more to learn, and see how
> >   others are using its features.
> I am sure that I COULD talk for an hour, but I know that I SHOULD not.
> My presentation for the release party was intended to be 15 minutes,
> and it encompasses most of what I know about Screen (I don't use
> hardstatus lines or any of that fancy stuff).

Would you settle for 30 minutes then?

> - We could use the June meeting for a number of quick (30 minute?)
>  demo presentations on a number of topics.

> Given that Chris Frey gave the original presentation on Screen that
> got ME using it, maybe he has some ideas.

Would be awesome all the same.

> >   * Chris Frey on some kernel internals (how it allocates CPU, disk,
> >   network, memory resources, caveats, tips, hints).
> Rob Day might also be able to provide some insights into this.

Yes, that would be good too.

Here are more topics that I would like to see presented/discussed.

- The udev subsystem, what is it, how it is useful, ...etc.
- The dbus subsystem, why, how, ...etc.

A repeat of John V's presentation on what happens from booting till you
login would be great too. It has been a while. New distros use different
things now (e.g. init is upstart on Ubuntu, which works differently, there
is no inittab file, ..etc.).