[kwlug-disc] Topics for future meetings

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Nov 4 22:32:45 EST 2009

Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 11/04/2009 10:01 PM:
> Here are more topics that I would like to see presented/discussed.
>
> - The udev subsystem, what is it, how it is useful, ...etc.
> - The dbus subsystem, why, how, ...etc.
>
> A repeat of John V's presentation on what happens from booting till you
> login would be great too. It has been a while. New distros use different
> things now (e.g. init is upstart on Ubuntu, which works differently,
> there is no inittab file, ..etc.).

In the meantime ... if people come across good reference material or
web pages that illuminate some of these things, please post to the list.

e.g. grub2 appears to be more in the (list's) news these days as
Ubuntu 9.10 has switched to it, one of those things Khalid alludes to
above.

And 9.10 doesn't appear to be as smooth as the world might like, as
numerous posts to the list has shown. As problems are noted and/or
solved, please continue posting to the list.

I know it's hard to remember, having finally tracked down the answer
and fixed a problem, to note what / where you found and let the list
know. But if you take the time to track down a problem, do some
googling, whatever, post links to those pages where you found good
material. I expect many here will appreciate it.

Be it a good screen site, a grub2 transition guide, or a newbie's
guide to 'the Linux development environment'. Or anything else, for
that matter.