[kwlug-disc] karmic koala not exactly building up good karma

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Nov 4 12:15:17 EST 2009

> I'd agree with Raul.  Casual/non-technical users should be running the
> LTS, probably starting from the .1 release.  It's not as pretty, but
> it's a safer upgrade path.  Ubuntu's come a long way, but Linux still
> has its pitfalls on the desktop with little to no support from
> hardware vendors.

I would have loved to do exactly this: be only on LTS releases. In face, I
do
this on the servers.

The issue with Kubuntu is that 8.04 was NOT an LTS because it had KDE
3.5, and they knew that KDE 3.5 will not be supported upstream for 3 years.

This forced me to go to KDE4 on 9.04 since sooner or later I would have to
face an upgrade. It really sucked on that version, but is far better on
9.10.

I hope they never do this mistake again and make LTS for Kubuntu as well.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.