[kwlug-disc] ISP recommendations for sailing

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Fri May 29 08:58:31 EDT 2009

 The US has had for a number of years decent cell modems you can buy
that plug right into your laptop as a PCMCIA card.  If you can get cell
coverage, you can pretty much get internet access in the US.  I think
we're starting to see this kind of stuff in Canada now as well.  In any
event, I believe most of the larger US cell providers would have some
type of coverage available throughout the US just by buying a cell modem
and a subscription.

I'm not sure how far from sure the cell coverage works though.  I do
know you can get perfectly fine cell coverage on lakes up north ;).