[kwlug-disc] Unlimitel/ATA pricing

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Sun Mar 15 17:02:19 EDT 2009

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 12:27:11PM -0400, L.D. Paniak wrote:
> Your "directory" need not be a public entity. A PBX like trixbox or
> Elastix (or Asterisk directly) can be programmed to automatically route
> calls to minimize cost.  It is only a small step up in complexity from a
> basic system configuration.  The easiest/cheapest way to do this is to
> have remote extensions attached to the PBX.  Calls between extensions
> are free. Of course, you can't give an extension to everyone.

Slight topic change, but since the gurus are on the topic, I might
as well ask.  What are the options of adding encryption to your
VOIP traffic?  I understand that it should be possible to setup a VPN
between two asterisk users and voila, encrypted VOIP.

I realize most people don't worry about VOIP encryption, which is part of
the problem, but are there any movements in that direction?

Thanks,
- Chris