[kwlug-disc] Unlimitel/ATA pricing

L.D. Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Sat Mar 14 12:27:11 EDT 2009

Your "directory" need not be a public entity. A PBX like trixbox or
Elastix (or Asterisk directly) can be programmed to automatically route
calls to minimize cost.  It is only a small step up in complexity from a
basic system configuration.  The easiest/cheapest way to do this is to
have remote extensions attached to the PBX.  Calls between extensions
are free. Of course, you can't give an extension to everyone.

As a side-note, it may be possible to setup a "hotline" between two
phones over a LAN (VPN) using a pair of ATAs and *no* intermediate PBX.
 The phones will only be able to call each other (hence hotline) but
this might be a useful config in some cases.  I have not tried this
trick myself.

Thanks to Andrew for the detail on the CICS!  Very helpful!