[kwlug-disc] Linux-Format Magazine

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Thu Mar 5 19:07:21 EST 2009

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 10:17:41AM -0500, Chris Irwin wrote:
> I don't want to rain on any parades, but isn't the concept of the
> magazine essentially depreciated by the Internet? We no longer have to
> gather all the material so we only go to press once per month, and
> there is no scarcity needing us to grab a copy *now* to read *later*.
> I'd say sites like slashdot are the "Modern" magazine replacement with
> a split of news and articles.

That's a good point.  I guess I see the lack of scarcity with web information
sources as a liability as well as an asset.  Not everyone has time to read
every post on the kwlug mailing list, especially when they get long and
hairy. :-)  But a "magazine" could edit that into a more readable summary.

But that takes a whole lot more work than a script can provide, and I doubt
anyone is going to do that summarizing for free.

But it's that summary work that people pay for these days, I think.
Maybe not for a mailing list, but in general.

- Chris