[kwlug-disc] Linux-Format Magazine

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Thu Mar 5 19:07:55 EST 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 12:41 -0800, Raul Suarez wrote:
> --- On Thu, 3/5/09, Chris Irwin <chris at chrisirwin.ca> wrote:
> > I don't want to rain on any parades, but isn't the
> > concept of the
> > magazine essentially depreciated by the Internet?
>
> Maybe eventually but not yet.
>
> (...) taking my laptop to the dentist (...)
>
> (...) I feel more comfortable with a printed magazine (...)
>
> (...) sometimes the magazines are more convenient (...)

Finding printed material more comfortable or convenient is common, and
I agree. I still like magazines. But this has nothing to do with an
Internet-distributed magazine as you can't download physical paper. ;)

I didn't mean to say that magazines are obsolete completely, just that
if you're using the Internet as your distribution model, why constrain
yourself with the limits of non-applicable distribution and production
models? "Early and often" as our favourite saying goes.

If you read online or get into e-book readers, this removes the bulk of
hauling a laptop out at the dentist. Apparently e-ink is also much
easier for the eyes ("paper-like) as well as being rather power
efficient. This solves three big issues right there. (Question: Has
anybody actually seen e-ink in action?)

But you are right: we are not there yet.

> (...) I prefer magazines for the opinion pieces (...)

Is this to say you trust magazine staff more than the Internet? My issue
with reading opinion on the Internet is exactly what makes it so great:
Every idiot has an opinion and it is hard to find the opinions that are
intelligent or informed. I can go and post what I think about 'Inflation
in Zimbabwe' or 'strategies on production and distribution of
periodicals on the Internet' but does that mean anybody should actually
listen to me?

If you came across this post, whether from google or first-hand
membership to the group, you have no idea if I am some kid who thinks
magazines are not cool because Dad likes them, or a published
author/economist commenting on a topic of which he is deeply familiar
and has researched.

--
Chris Irwin <chris at chrisirwin.ca>