[kwlug-disc] PC/hardware question

Andrew Kohlsmith (lists) aklists at mixdown.ca
Wed Mar 4 23:12:53 EST 2009

On March 4, 2009 10:55:07 pm Cedric Puddy wrote:
> I was/am really interested in NX specifically because it proxies the
> X11 protocol, and allows one to disconnect a session, and then later
> reconnect to it.  I use Screen all the time for that very purpose --
> I'm working at a client site on some computer, ssh'd in to my screen
> session, then disconnect, and later pick up the same session from the
> computer at my desk, etc.
>
> That way, I leave all my connections to my servers, log windows,
> network stats all open in one session, and just connect to my
> environment as I need it.

Yep, that's exactly why I like it.  I use screen religiously as well, and
really wanted to be able to export a single window.  xmove works, but not for
anything KDE, since it doesn't provide the right X extensions.

> I want NX because it allows the same thing, except not just with text,
> and without quite the same impact as traditional screen sharing
> programs.

Yes, it is very light, and especially on a LAN, *VERY* fast.  If you tell the
connection manager that you're using ISDN or ADSL speeds though, it appears
quite zippy even over craptastic internet, such as at my home.  :-)

-A.