[kwlug-disc] Asterisk/OpenWrt on router presentation

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Mon Mar 2 18:04:51 EST 2009

Oh boy! Now _there's_ an invitation. I hope that you don't regret it.

I'm sorry for this late response. Perhaps it will foster discussion.

It was a passionate time for the list earlier this month - I apologize
to those over-saturated. I'm making it much worse here - a reflection
of the vastness, uncertainty, and vagueness, of convergence.

In line.

L.D. Paniak wrote, On 01/23/2009 10:33 AM:

> Hi all,
>
> Now that I've got Asterisk/OpenWrt working on an Asus WL500gP router, I
> thought it would be a good time to ask for input from the list on what
> kinds of 'hacked router as telephony/gateway appliance' questions people
> may have - and would like answered.  Yes, I'm looking at you unsolicited.

.
.
.

First, the (my 'VoIP') perspective:

I'm keenly interested in this VoIP 'stuff'. The more I read, the more
possibilities I see, and the more daunting the topic becomes. One can
only be keenly interested in so many things at once. With VoIP,
dipping one toe in the water could suck you under faster than
expected. On a mission critical thing.

The landscape for phone companies such as Bell or Rogers is changing.
I would say it has changed - consumers are catching up. Phone service
has traditionally meant service to a physical location - convergence,
in two ways here, has happened. Service is now delivered to an entity,
be it person or business, wherever their location is at that moment.
Service delivery method, be it by cell, landline, e-mail, instant
message, or any other way, is irrelevant to the user - someone called
(communicated with) them, however it arrived. The transport mechanism
is an invisible barrier to the user that they keep bumping into, when
it shouldn't exist at all.

'VoIP' becomes not just a phone, or Bell replacement, but an
opportunity to acquire greater value, and become portable by removing
vendor dependency. The barriers can be brought down.

The problem is, to do it consumers must take back responsibility and
ownership of their communications gateway from the vendor into their
own premises and hands. Communications are mission critical - it
cannot be unavailable. Given the knowledge and faith required to
execute, individuals, en masse, are reluctant to take this step.

I can say the same for ISP gateways. They are being asked to deliver
more and more functionality. From this perspective, I can repeat the
paragraph above: The problem is, to do it consumers must take back
responsibility and ownership of their communications gateway from the
vendor into their own premises and hands. Communications are mission
critical - it cannot be unavailable. Given the knowledge and faith
required to execute, individuals, en masse, are reluctant to take this
step.

Next, some landscape -

K-W Lug Presentations: I suspect the single biggest benefit of LUG
presentations is: (a) What the heck is this {thunk}, and why do I
care; (b) the general concepts of the {thunk}, allowing me to judge
the amount of interest in {thunks} that I may have, and the amount of
time and effort I'll have to put in. In this age of increasing
complexity and building blocks, with more {widgets} coming out faster
than I can keep up with, I can't become an expert on everything. Darn it!
- what is the nature of this world? Both the local (house or
individual computer) world, and the larger world - where does, or
where all does, this {thunk} fit in, and the general and adjacent
{thunks} around it?
- show me how, walk me through, and do, it. Just how easy it is to get
{thunk} up and running.
   - Cedric's OpenWRT presentation was jaw-dropping in this regard - 5
minutes of 'doing it' and voila!
- conceptual, not nitty gritty details - I'm not going to remember
them, I just need to remember to explore {x} further. But don't forget
to translate what they call {x} from "what we would think of as {y}".
Help us grok the terminology.
- where to get help - both detailed (now that we know to search for
{y}), introductory (conceptual framework), and newbie walk through. We
can all use the internet and get help on our own (once we know where
to go) - what we need to get out of the presentation is an
understanding as to what we will need further help and details on. Not
the details themselves.

Convergence - my problems:
1. Home, sorry, personal / INDIVIDUAL electronic communications, AND
ROUTING.
- communication had expanded from in person landline telephone, and
physical letter, to include e-mail. And now Instant Messaging and
VoIP, including video (visual). Oops, let's not forget pagers. For the
purposes of this note, put aside things such as forums (but alerts are
included - usually in e-mail), social networking (facebook, youtube?,
Drupal?), and RSS. Perhaps _include_ podcasts. The Blackberry has
bastardized e-mail into IM. Perhaps include GPS ("the person you are
calling is out of town", or "Hi Ward, he's waiting for you at the Tim
Horton's across the street from your current location.") Along comes
'Asterisk'. Which, astonishingly, provides an ability to route
communications, and to filter them along the way. (No telemarketing
calls forwarded to cell please.) As technowizards, we're supposed to
be able to instantly grok this all.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grok). {Brain explodes.} For Monty
Python fans, think "Finally, after being persuaded by the smooth (and
possibly vengeful) maître d' to eat a "wafer-thin mint", he explodes"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Creosote)
- if Asterisk and OpenWRT are two different clouds, 1,000 miles up,
it's part of something else that's 10,000 miles up. What is the nature
of the universe? (I know, 42.)
2. We're asking more and more of our gateways - VPN, squid (proxy
server - e.g. A central hosts file with all the 'bad hosts' out there
mapped to 127.0.0.1), VNC, QoS, Asterisk. Net nanny?
(3. 1. and 2. are mission critical - they cannot go down. Even from
our own mistakes or lack of expertise. Let alone hardware, software,
or configuration failure. Such as from (security) patches that
inadvertently knock some other usual behaviour off kilter.)

Black boxes, vs. not, e.g. LinuxMCE vs. OpenWRT:
- black boxes are good. Define what it's supposed to do, set it up and
forget about that issue. It's solved. Fire and forget. On to the next
{widget} ...
- capability vs. capacity - We can't know how much capability we need
until we're done. We can't know what all we can do, let alone would
like to do, until we do it. By that time, we _may_ have exceeded the
capacity of the black box - time for a dedicated computer instead. But
now we have this {boat anchor black box} around. So we re-do
everything on a computer. Back to square one. Or, we split out the
functionality between the black box AND a computer. Back to square one
- twice even.
   - ultimately, I believe my own personal requirements will fit
within a black box, but I have absolutely no way to know beforehand.
   - BUT, in learning about this {stuff}, I will want to play with all
the nifty features. To explore then make a determination as to whether
I care about them.
- yet, if that computer is LinuxMCE, well, it wants to control the
world. It doesn't have to, but things become non-trivial, or at least
not immediately intuitive and quick. If OpenWRT, we want it to control
the world. Yet it must inter-operate with anything else we might come
up with. Circular.
- Refer back to 'mission critical.' So, we can't play, we cannot lose
the gateway. (Gateway down, need help from internet documentation ...
Oops!) Destructive testing on a single unit = BAD IDEA.
- someone said nobody should attempt to implement something on a black
box without knowing everything about the something. The essence being
that black box implementations, almost by definition, have subset
functionalities, perhaps without help, documentation, or GUI's - it is
harder for a novice to acquire complete satisfaction of the
application they are trying to implement on a black box, than a full
scale computer. This becomes chicken and egg - if I've got everything
on a computer, if I move to a black box I now have a boat anchor
computer. Without implementing a full-box Asterisk, one cannot know
what is lost by an OpenWRT implementation, to know whether it matters
to them or not.
- yet the advantages of the black box beckon - particularly not YAC
(Yet Another Computer, To Maintain). And all the encumbering baggage
that goes with it - from physical space (e.g. monitor) and hardware
requirements, to security and other software updates. [No, monitors
aren't always, or 24x7, necessary - unless you're a newbie to that
functionality. And since you don't know how long that period will last
...]
- finally, here, there is a point where a black box becomes so complex
that there is value is splitting out the functionality into two black
boxes. e.g. A Cisco PIX can get such a long configuration, and the
configuration 'areas' interrelate, that it can become frustrating.
e.g. VPN, DNS, firewall, access-lists, etc. There is a point where
splitting out VPN from firewall into two devices becomes warranted -
if only from a maintenance / downtime / oops point of view. At what
point does that apply here?

These are BIG topics:
- wireless
- gateways (in terms of all the home / headend functionality we'd like
to put in a central spot, be it firewall, Asterisk, or any other
"let's only do this once per enterprise" item.) One's home is an
enterprise - even if there's only one computer.
- Asterisk ('VoIP')
- OpenWRT
- let alone moving targets, White Russian, Kamikaze, no wireless yet,
no 802.11n standard yet ...

Where I'm at with OpenWRT/Asterisk:
- hesitant. There's so much functionality possible. Even though it's a
black box. As a result, I've done no more than think and read about it
- being reluctant to step into the morass when I expect it to consume
an infinite amount of time.
- it's too big to chew on. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a
time. But what if it's a one-bite elephant? See mission-critical -
both gateway and voice.
- I can't even find a one-stop document for all the things one wants
in a gateway (DNS, DHCP, firewall, ...). Part of that is because
functionality crosses over between desktop / server / network admin.
OpenWRT/Asterisk just expands that geography even further.
- I need to sit down and really think about what all I want to do.
What I guess I really need first is a checklist of functionality. Am I
fantasizing to hope that functionality is distinct, or are the
checklist items going to be inter-related, and there is an order, or
sub-order, in which to go at things?
- so, back to ... what's OpenWRT/Asterisk's role in the world?

- distinctive ring?
- # of extensions should only really matter (aside from wiring) in
terms of simultaneous 'extension' use?
- hold music, issues?
- voice mail (capacity?)
- find me functionality:
  - forward to cell if no answer, return home to record a message if
no further answer.
  - alert upon incoming e-mail, via sms. Heck, send me the e-mail via sms.
  - IM, twitter, jabber, chat, irc, ??? Personal communication!
Wherever I am, let me know someone's trying to get me.
  - including ... I'm at an internet cafe and have signed on to the
internet. Forward calls to me. Or, I'm on my laptop and wi-fi, same.
These will be video calls. Perhaps from Skype. Cafe firewall issues?
  - I may receive notification, let me respond. Keep communications
through the same pipe, for tracking purposes. Er, Make reversed /
returned communications, done independently, be noted. I guess I'm
talking CMS inter-action here.
  - different mailbox redirection depending upon caller id, including
(a) Hello, you're too much of an idiot for me to take your call, since
you've masked your caller id, or (b) Hey bro, this is his Asterisk box
talking, I've tried to reach him for you, including his cell, and
Skype, to no answer. Would you like to leave a message and I'll txt
his cell to retrieve your message?, or (c) Hi Mom, if this is an
emergency press 911 and I'll put out an APB to him and bro using all
the communication means I know about. Thanks for calling!
- config deletion / recovery? Perhaps to different hardware?
   - bare metal restore computer backups become useless if you're
restoring to different metal. And by the time you need the backup, you
will be. As far as I know, wireless is not yet working on Kamikaze.
When it is, and I have to purchase different hardware, I'll want to
migrate to it ASAP. See mission-critical.
- I vaguely understand 'dialling plan' - I do not understand the
possibilities, let alone the implications. I get caller id can show up
on your TV. That's nice and bound in terms of concept. Beyond that,
the possibilities seem exciting, but vague. (Lack of knowledge.)
- is OpenWRT/Asterisk even the entire solution here? Let alone, which
problems can it be a (partial?) solution for?

So, I'm looking for some clarity of thinking and approach, to this
multi-dimensional {thunk}.

Including, when it is, and when it is not, appropriate.
(Capability/capacity.)

What is the nature and compartmentalization of these worlds, which
pieces are involved, and how do they fit together. Let alone, which
worlds?

Convergence - both communication, and gateway.

Sincerely,

-- Thrashing