[kwlug-disc] IPCop (and friends) vs hardware router

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Jun 19 12:38:46 EDT 2009

Andrew Kohlsmith (Mailing List Account) wrote, On 06/19/2009 11:51 AM:
.
.
.
> Totally agreed, although there is some significant hardware assistance on the
> high-end stuff.  Custom ASICs that partially decode the frames and route them
> without the CPU knowing, and so on.

I don't think the hardware assistance is limited to high end. Lori
even noted that the OpenWRT stuff doesn't have to do everything in CPU.

I do agree, though, the higher the end, the more significant. Layer 3
switches with multi-GB fabrics, come to mind.

Firewalls and (multi-device fabric) fibre switches overlapping
(converging?) in functionality.