[kwlug-disc] IPCop (and friends) vs hardware router

Fri Jun 19 11:51:26 EDT 2009

On June 19, 2009 09:34:12 am john at netdirect.ca wrote:
> It was often used to suggest that it was better than a "software" version.
> The only hardware firewall I can think of was designed to prevent the
> spread of fire.

Actually there was a specific hardware device (I believe) called an airgap
router... it quite literally disconnected the WAN side when speaking to the
LAN side, and vice-versa.

Totally useless, but such a thing did exist.  :-)

> I think the terms "consumer firewall", "consumer router" or "Internet
> gateway device" are more self-descriptive.

Totally agreed, although there is some significant hardware assistance on the
high-end stuff.  Custom ASICs that partially decode the frames and route them
without the CPU knowing, and so on.

-A.