[kwlug-disc] IPCop (and friends) vs hardware router

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Jun 18 10:20:11 EDT 2009

Paul Nijjar wrote, On 06/18/2009 5:28 AM:
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 11:43:45PM -0400, Kiwi Ssennyonjo wrote:
>> The choice is simple and clear in my opinion. Pfsense is your appliance
>> It will do everything on your list and more.
>>

> Holy cow. Why didn't I download this 10 minutes after your KWLUG
> presentation?
>
> No doubt I'm going to run into roadblocks. But at this point it looks
> like I am kicking IPCop to the curb. (Sorry, Linux.)
>
> I am still curious to know how a hardware router with open firmware
> would measure up. It would be nice to replace a big desktop computer
> with a cute router box. But I have a feeling that Bill's comments
> sbout processing limits will come into play even for our relatively
> small network.

In your copious spare time, there's no harm firing one or more of
these up. And certainly no harm in trying one first - the beastie will
fall over in some fashion (lock up, constant reboots, no throughput)
if its overwhelmed. You could put one between segments of your network
for testing / device exercising to gain confidence. e.g. At the head
of each building, or between the firewall and DMZ, etc.

Just make sure you determine what discrete pieces of functionality
you're looking for first. Then when / if one of these falls over you
can move to a PC, if you have to, a little easier / quicker. (Having
gone through some of any learning curve already.)

[Actually, regardless of the device, a similar (test) implementation
plan would have value.]

In your copious spare time.