[kwlug-disc] IPCop (and friends) vs hardware router

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Thu Jun 18 03:24:29 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 02:19:08AM -0400, unsolicited wrote:

> P.S. Have Rogers send you the offending logs. You have to tell them to
> e-mail it to you beforehand. i.e. Logs of things you've already
> experienced will be long gone.

Who do you contact to arrange this? I would LOVE to get logs as Rogers
sees them but I have no idea how to reach anybody useful.

With one exception, Rogers has been uniformly unhelpful in all this.
They refuse to even disclose the IP addresses that we are supposedly
attacking. That information clearly exists in their system, but they
won't share it with us. So we keep locking things down and snooping
harder to try and patch the holes, and we keep getting burned. It's
unambiguously my fault that we are getting burned, but if Rogers
really is trying to keep bots and viruses off its network it could
reach its goal faster by sharing what it knows a bit more thoroughly.

- Paul