[kwlug-disc] IPCop (and friends) vs hardware router

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Jun 18 10:14:10 EDT 2009

Paul Nijjar wrote, On 06/18/2009 3:24 AM:
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 02:19:08AM -0400, unsolicited wrote:
>> P.S. Have Rogers send you the offending logs. You have to tell them to
>> e-mail it to you beforehand. i.e. Logs of things you've already
>> experienced will be long gone.
>
> Who do you contact to arrange this? I would LOVE to get logs as Rogers
> sees them but I have no idea how to reach anybody useful.

One friend got shut down by Rogers at one point. We (I) called Rogers
(which is when we found out Rogers was the culprit since my hunting
for the problem internally appeared fruitless). Although we did the
standard Rogers support loop the loop until we got to the right
department (eCare?), we were able to request the logs, for next time,
by supplying an e-mail address. 'Unfortunately' it never happened
again, so there were no logs to receive. Something had been scanning
the net, starting with 0.0.0.0 and up, so I put blocks to such
addresses. (I have since found out this would be called 'bogon'
addresses.)

Once I found out about specifying an e-mail address to them, I told
another friend who had been similarly hit to give them their e-mail
address. Never heard anything further from them, though.

You might just try blocking 0/7. Rogers may not be too smart in terms
of why they're calling some things bad (explanatory wise) - they run
their stuff, come up with 'bad', and voila. And all they can tell you
is 'bad' - nothing more specific to help you get a handle on what the
heck they're talking about. So don't take them literally, try and
figure out the nature of the behaviour they're talking about.