[kwlug-disc] IPCop (and friends) vs hardware router

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Jun 18 02:19:08 EDT 2009

You want a layer 3 switch. <kidding>. <sort of>. (The layer 3 switch,
and many other devices, would let you distinguish between managing
your internal network, and managing your external network. You could
cross-over some things too, if for some reason that were desirable.
e.g. block some things at the layer 3 switch to reduce the workload of
your real firewall.)

Break it down another way. What discrete functions do you want to run?
On how many devices? e.g. One box firewall, another box VPN, another
box monitoring, etc. Or one box to rule them all.

I doubt any D-Link or Linksys or like cheapo router will handle your
load in the way you want it to.

My own experience demonstrates to me that when you mix too many things
on one box, it becomes burdensome to maintain / keep things straight
in terms of bits of interaction in multiple places.

You have been playing with system logging and the like. There are some
advantages to running all such stuff on the firewall box.

I can see the PC route would have advantages in terms of flexibility
and community support, since it would run FOSS software. (And provide
more solution possibilities than some other dedicated box solutions
might, such as multiple DMZs.) You could clone it, and gain redundancy
in various ways. i.e. You probably have multiple PCs available to you
- you may not have 2 of any other devices.

I can't recall the last time I've seen Linux, vs. BSD, etc. used on a
firewall.

But break down the discrete functionality you want, first. e.g. Pick
what software packages you would like to run. One sort of defines the
other, and vice versa.

P.S. Have Rogers send you the offending logs. You have to tell them to
e-mail it to you beforehand. i.e. Logs of things you've already
experienced will be long gone.