[kwlug-disc] Configuring a WinTV-HVR-1600

L.D. Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Fri Feb 13 22:06:43 EST 2009

Ah, the fun of video capture cards in MythTV.

Raul Suarez wrote:
> Just being masochist and for the fun of it I forked 24 dolars for a WinTV-HVR-1600 after reading that it was possible to use it in Linux.

24 bucks!  Cheap entertainment...  I should go get one for myself!

> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HVR-1600

So you got the latest driver:

hg clone http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb

Built and installed?

> - The card documentation says that it does not receive digital cable.
> - I have rogers cable and I'm paying for Digital cable. If I use the Rogers box I get all the channels.
If I do not use the rogers box I just get the lower channels.
Does that mean that I always receiving digital cable even without the
box and I cannot use this card?
or if I'm not using the box I am actually getting analog cable and I
should be able to use this card?

Without the cable box you are capturing analog cable.  The card should
be good for that.  According to the wiki, the card also does QAM-256
(for the right product codes) which will allow you to get the radio and
music stations Rogers puts unencrypted in digital channels 84_xx and
133_xx.  There are a couple of video channels in the digital territory
(BET,?) but Rogers has gotten rid of the interesting ones that were
available this time last year.

> - What type of NTSC should I select for Canada?

NTSC-M I believe.

> On the Linux side
> - What could be the problem in Linux where MythTv do not recognize the device.

If you've got video1, video24 and video32, then Linux is seeing the
analog TV tuner.  For the analog tuner you need to goto the Myth setup
and configure video1 as a PVR-150 card with MPEG2 encoder.  You will
need to select the proper device.

Beware that on each reboot, your video devices might get re-ordered so
that the webcam and TV card swap video0<->video1.  Very annoying, but
fixable.  I can help with that once we get that far.

It might be easier to start by disconnecting the webcam and put it back
at the end.  Fewer variables.