[kwlug-disc] Bandwidth aggregation

Andrew Kohlsmith (lists) aklists at mixdown.ca
Thu Feb 12 08:01:37 EST 2009

On February 11, 2009 08:53:50 pm unsolicited wrote:
> I take it you have, or are arranging for, two providers each with
> static ips? (Same provider, twice, doesn't count. But in that case,
> it's usually cheaper, and much less aggravation, to acquire twice the
> speed - it should be cheaper than 2 x whatever you're paying now.)

No need for different providers or even static IPs. With the same provider you
lose some of the benefit, since if the provider has troubles your whole
connection suffers.  You may be able to use multilink ppp with a single
provider and avoid the far-end colocated box, too.  hard to say for sure.

I'm going to have to set up a bunch of virtual machines and try to recreate
this in something I can easily show off.

-A.