[kwlug-disc] Presentation topics and descriptions

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sat Dec 26 03:04:31 EST 2009

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009, Richard Weait wrote:

> We've been batting around a couple of ideas regarding who is KWLUG
> and who is the audience for KWLUG.
>
> I suggest that the web site kwlug.org is the most-public face of
> KWLUG and that the Upcoming Meetings page is the main point of
> interest on the web site.

  which is, i think, unfortunate, since why shouldn't people come to
the KWLUG page for info *other* than just meeting times and places?
is there anything else that can be used to drive traffic to kwlug.org?
why not regular features, or columns, or tips and tricks?

  for example, consider the site gurulabs.com:
http://www.gurulabs.com/.  sure, they're a commercial consulting and
training venture, but they have a "goodies" page that attracts
readers:

  http://www.gurulabs.com/goodies/

so even if someone is not *currently* a potential client of gurulabs,
there's still a reason for them to stop by.  and when that person
might need training or consulting down the road, they'll remember.

  why not the same thing for kwlug?  if that site is being used solely
for meeting announcements, then i think it's being sadly
under-utilized.  what else can be added?  and when new content *is*
added, then kwlug twitter is used to announce it with a short link to
it.

  thoughts?

rday