[kwlug-disc] Presentation topics and descriptions

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Dec 26 01:27:53 EST 2009

Richard Weait wrote, On 12/26/2009 12:02 AM:
> We have most of 2010 scheduled and posted on the web site.  Many would
> say, "That's great" and they would be right.  Many would continue and
> say, "That's enough" and I say "nonsense."
>
> We've been batting around a couple of ideas regarding who is KWLUG and
> who is the audience for KWLUG.

I would say 'who and what is KWLUG', and I would say audiences plural.

> I suggest that the web site kwlug.org is the most-public face of KWLUG
> and that the Upcoming Meetings page is the main point of interest on
> the web site.  I suggest that the next meeting agenda and topic "Is
> KWLUG" in the eyes of anybody who is new to KWLUG.  I'm simplifying
> and missing edge cases.  Sue me.
>
> So, when I look at the schedule as a KWLUG regular, I say, "Awesome
> line-up.  2010 is going to be great."  But it can be argued that I, as
> a KWLUG Regular, am not the intended audience for the web site.
>
> Hunh?  What are you on about, Richard?

No. Makes sense. Startlingly astute observation.

A kwlug regular looking for meeting details knows it's in there
somewhere, and will hunt for it. Doesn't have to be on the front page.
Gotcha.

> If I look at the schedule now, and ask, "Who cares?" the answer is a
> little narrow.
.
. <brevity snip>
.
> The second sounds a lot more "salesy" and I apologize.  You don't need
> to sound salesy.  Use your own "voice."

My jaw dropped when Raul began his 'remote access' presentation as
"How to help Dad!" Brilliant.

On a similar point:

I too tried to look at kwlug.org from the eyes of a new visitor - the
first text blurb, starting with "KWLUG - The Kitchener-Waterloo Linux
User Group is a monthly meeting of GNU/Linux, Free Software, Open
Source and technology enthusiasts." exactly, concisely, and
completely, describe kwlug. But it doesn't really say anything. If you
know what I mean. [Granted, we cannot try to explain FOSS right then
and there, particularly when there is so much rich content elsewhere
within the web on it.]

Not that I can pin down what, if anything, is missing, but it feels
somehow ... insufficient? Incomplete?