[kwlug-disc] (Proposed) New kwlug meeting section: Q & A

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Fri Dec 25 16:23:42 EST 2009

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 4:37 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
> Here's an idea (proposal) ...
>
> Suppose we take 10 minutes at each meeting, a *strongly* constrained 10
> minutes, for questions on anything from the floor - doesn't matter what the
> question's on (Linux, Windows, whatever), but the answer has to have a FOSS
> component. (Windows so we can tie it back to FOSS/Linux - e.g. vnc client,
> samba.) Perhaps just before the main presentation.

[ ... ]

Encouraging discussion and Q&A before, during and after LUG meetings?
Nah.  That will never fly.  ;-)

We've had meeting agenda notes in our schedule previously.  They've
been sparse at times, but we've recently used the agenda to talk about
our changing meeting locations.  http://kwlug.org/archive

For those playing along at home, the front page meeting announcements
consist of an Agenda (the agenda includes an ad-hoc text field for
things like "Hey, we welcome Q&As" plus fields for date, venue,
location) and one or more Presentation topics.

http://kwlug.org/node/575
New User Night!
Bring a new or potential new GNU/Linux user to the meeting for a night
of introductory computer fun.
Doors open at 6pm for casual conversation and networking. The formal
presentation starts at 7:00pm sharp!
Some of you may choose to join us at a local restaurant for more
discussion and refreshments after the meeting.

We also describe typical meeting activities on the "What happens at a
meeting" page. http://kwlug.org/node/55

In all of these places we could be more explicit about welcoming
questions, particularly from new attendees.

As a very wise person once said, successful Q&A requires folks to ask
questions and folks to answer them.  So if we are really going to work
the Q&A angle we have to back it up.  I have no doubt that any number
of us, when presented with a curious newcomer and a question, will do
the right thing and provide guidance, reassurance, sympathy, or or
referral to an expert in the field depending on circumstances.  But if
we are going to commit to "6-7 There Shall Be Q&A" we had best go all
the way, and schedule folks to be there to A the Qs.  Perhaps we can
find a way to announce the Q&A without having to commit resources and
volunteers.

[Q&A draft - fix me]
KWLUG welcomes curious newcomers with questions.  Join us at the
pre-meeting ad-hoc conversation.  Feel free to ask your questions of
any of any attendee. We'll do the best that we can to answer your
question, or to refer you to the correct person or resources for your
answer.