[kwlug-disc] kwlug on twitter?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Dec 24 03:15:41 EST 2009

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009, Andrew Kohlsmith (Mailing List Account) wrote:

> On December 22, 2009 06:36:34 pm Insurance Squared Inc. wrote:
> > Twitter's a waste of time.  LUG doesn't need a voice there.  Grab
> > the name if so desired, don't waste any more time on it than that.
>
> I disagree, and I'm definitely one of the people who feel that
> Twitter was a "yes, and?" kind of service.
>
> Posting upcoming meeting topics and location would be an EXCELLENT
> use of the service.  Just don't spam your followers. Post maybe a
> week or a few days in advance, and then once again on the night of.
> I've lost count of the number of really promising twitter users I
> have unfollowed because they post the same crap every few hours or
> days and fill up my timeline with repeats.

  that's how i've done it.  when people start to follow me, i check
out their latest few dozen tweets.  if they interest me, i follow them
back.  if they don't, i don't.  if i follow them and they eventually
bore me to tears, i *un*follow them.  i have the power.

  and then there are the follows strictly for the entertainment value,
like http://twitter.com/FakeAPStylebook.

rday