[kwlug-disc] Twitter and Identi.ca

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Wed Dec 23 14:35:20 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 09:16:52AM -0500, Chris Irwin wrote:
> Since there seems to be a few Twits on the list, I figured I would
> inquire regarding tweet-following methods. (The folks who made twitter
> must have been fans of Monty Python).
>
> Does everybody use the twitter and identi.ca web interfaces? Do you
> use a desktop program? If you use both services, how do you manage
> updates?

Hi Chris,

I use identi.ca, and I use the web interface to follow people, or join
groups, or change configurations, or to read an identi.ca conversation
between people, or even to read my own log.

But most of the time, I just have my Jabber client setup to communicate
with the identi.ca bot.  When I login to Jabber, the pending messages of
the day flow in all at once.  To dent, I just type a message at the bot,
and it responds with what it thinks I typed.

I also have it setup to email me notifications, so I get an email if
someone sends me a message directly (@cdfrey) or if someone follows me,
or similar things.  It doesn't send all the messages I'd usually get
through Jabber, though... just the direct ones.

Works for me so far.

- Chris