[kwlug-disc] (In progress) kwlug candidate meeting site sourced.

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Dec 21 09:36:29 EST 2009


On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 10:21 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 12/19/2009 8:52 PM:
>
>  On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 5:03 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca<mailto:
>> unsolicited at swiz.ca>> wrote:
>>
>>    Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 12/19/2009 9:32 AM:
>>
>>        Well said Raul. I agree.
>>
>>        Let us not change because we are looking for a location. Let us
>>        change because of other more organic reasons (new audience mix,
>>        new meeting topics, ....etc.)
>>
>>
>>    I don't understand. This is all one and the same, wrapped up in each
>>    other. Change has occurred - the Working Centre became too noisy.
>>
>>
>>
>> No, it does not follow ...
>>
>
> Yes, it absolutely does follow.
>
> The loss of the Working Centre leads to a need for a new location.
>
> That location must be free - kwlug cannot sustain a per meeting rental fee.
>
> Therefore someone must sponsor us the space.
>
> Their first question: Who are you?
>

Up to here, everything is fine.

The logic flaw, as I see it, is jumping to who you ARE, to who do you WANT
to be?
Or how can you CHANGE.

One is the present state of the group (good or bad is another matter), and
the other
is whether we should change in order to get to meet elsewhere.

The other point is that we as a diverse group do not agree on whether we
should change, let alone how to change, and to what.

So, this is why this who "we are changing" is "scope creep" at its best ...


> Their second question: Why do I care, what can you do for me? (Since we're
> not giving them money, a self-sufficient and self-evident answer in every
> other case.)
>

We are what we are: a group that meets to discuss free/open source topics.
We have volunteers proposing topics, and we have some discussions about
them.


>        Or, we have this space which our members pay for, or is otherwise
> funded somehow for some particular purpose. The space is not currently being
> used, and open for our members to use. Will our members be welcome and want
> to participate in this use of their space?
>
> Somehow, for some reason, I don't think me standing up in front of them and
> saying, "Yes, of course!", will be taken as sufficient evidence, or
> sufficiently credible, in and of itself.
>
> So ... how do we show them ... "Yes, of course!"
>
> [The above will be true for ANY organization able to sponsor us space for
> free. Consider Raul/Manulife - no go because not enough Manulife'rs would
> attend.]
>
>
>  "We need a new place to meet doing what we were doing all along" is
>> different
>> from "who are we? why are we here? we should change?" ...etc.
>>
>> Two different topics that should not overlap. We are confusing ourselves
>> if
>> we are mixing them up like this.
>>
>
> The two topics don't overlap, they are one in the same. To get a place  to
> do what we've been doing all along means explaining what we've been doing
> all along. In order to get a sponsor to buy in to sponsoring us, they must
> know what they're buying in to.
>
> "Who are you?" "What do you do?"
>
>
> No sponsor is going to sponsor us for free if the people paying for the
> space can't participate.
>
> "Can we participate?" Yes. "Prove it." "Show us."
>
> [It would be different if some committee member had been attending kwlug
> meetings for some time. They will have lived kwlug. Since that isn't the
> case, how do we "Show them."?]
>
>
> Things are one in the same.
>
> All I have suggested in various ways is 'make the inclusiveness visible.'
> That's the only change we're talking about.
>
>
> Actually, that's not true, there is one other change - What are the
> consequences of having this space?
>
>        Well ... one of the consequences is having additional rooms
> available, such that perhaps a 'workshop' could simultaneously split off
> from the presentation, if people desired. It would require no additional
> effort on our part, and would likely be self-provisioning. i.e. If a group
> of 8 people went into another room, a few with laptops perhaps, they'll end
> up talking about whatever they end up talking about. Perhaps Brent will help
> someone to get jack going. Perhaps Kahlid will help someone tweak their
> apache / mysql / drupal install. Perhaps Lori will help someone get the
> firmware into OpenWRT that first time. Perhaps all 3 will happen
> simultaneously. Perhaps over a (root) beer.
>
>
> Not so much 'change', I think, as 'identification'?
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> kwlug-disc_kwlug.org mailing list
> kwlug-disc_kwlug.org at kwlug.org
> http://astoria.ccjclearline.com/mailman/listinfo/kwlug-disc_kwlug.org
>



-- 
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
http://2bits.com
Drupal optimization, development, customization and consulting.
Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability. --  Edsger W.Dijkstra
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --   Leonardo da Vinci
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://astoria.ccjclearline.com/pipermail/kwlug-disc_kwlug.org/attachments/20091221/e7c7914f/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the kwlug-disc_kwlug.org mailing list