[kwlug-disc] (In progress) kwlug candidate meeting site sourced.

Chris Bruner cbruner at quadro.net
Mon Dec 21 02:19:58 EST 2009

Chris Frey wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 01:39:33PM -0500, unsolicited wrote:
>
>> It's just a building. With some spare space.
>>
> I think it comes down to this line above.  If it is just a building,
> there's no issue.  But many people, including me, would not agree.
> And their perceptions need to be taken into account, for the sakes of
> both the church itself and KWLUG.

<snip>
I think there are two sides to the idea of meeting in the Church.  If we
view it as a transaction that we get use of a church basement and they
get some people being more familiar with their Church that is win/win.
I'm not a religious person, but I can see the advantage to the church.
The disadvantage to kwlug is if it becomes known as a "church group"
with all the stigma attached to that. I 'm not sure what to do about
that, because religions and followers will draw lines in the sand which
may cause problems.

Would people feel funny about going to a Church basement for a kwlug
meeting? I would a little bit, but not that much.  Floss fund would feel
like a collection then, which I don't like the idea of.  We would need
to be careful in explaining.

On the otherhand, I wouldn't mind the idea of "converting" a church to
Linux, I always felt that the philosophies were more compatible, then
buying licenses.