[kwlug-disc] (In progress) kwlug candidate meeting site sourced.

Darcy Casselman dscassel at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 00:32:18 EST 2009

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 10:44 PM, Chris Frey <cdfrey at foursquare.net> wrote:
> Paul summarized the various ways of "paying our way" for each location,
> so I won't duplicate that here.  Let's just say that at First United Church,
> the pay for the space is in time and in mission.  This is assumed by
> the very nature of church in general.

I'd prefer to take what they're offering at face value.  First United
lends out its space to the community quite often.  I've been in there
for transportation open houses and other public meetings plenty of
times.  It could be they just have a mandate to contribute to building
and helping community.

Church basements* have always (perhaps until fairly recently) been a
great option for community meetings.  I guess what's changed is you
used to be able to assume that the church community *was* the
community.  That's far from true these days.  Even so, I'm happy that
they are willing to provide these services to the community as a
whole.  I don't see a conflict.

We might lose one or two people who are scared of churches, but like
Paul said, if we go with SJK, we might lose one or two people who are
scared of poor people.  People who are scared of bars might have
avoided us at the Heuther too.  I don't know have far we should go to
accommodate the overly timid.

Darcy.

*note: Figuratively.  I realize we're not likely going to be in an
actual basement.