[kwlug-disc] Decrease boot time

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Fri Dec 18 18:38:44 EST 2009

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 02:57:12PM -0800, Raul Suarez wrote:
> Some people feel uncomfortable in a geeky environment and a screen
> with boot messages feels geeky to them. Of course to us geeks it's cool
> but othe people get put off by that.

I can understand that, and I believe there are lots of hidden influences
that are not obvious to those making the decisions.  Being aware of such
influences can help improve things in the long run, whether we're talking
about programming, or running a Fortune 500 company.

It was more the persistent attitude of some folks that "Linux is ugly AND
bad" that I was responding to.  I see no reason to force them into the
Linux fold if they are unwilling.  A boot up screen may not convince them.

And to respond to the actual topic: I like seeing the boot messages, but
being able to quickly hit ESC to see what's going on is a nice
alternative too.

- Chris