[kwlug-disc] Decrease boot time

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 18 17:57:12 EST 2009

--- On Fri, 12/18/09, Chris Frey <cdfrey at foursquare.net> wrote:
> We can be patient and helpful, but at some point, it's like
> forcing a homeless person into a shelter when he just wants to be
> left alone.
>
> Maybe that makes me a bad Linux advocate... :-)

Yes, it does (IMHO) :P

We can argue preferences until we are blue in the face. Coincidentally yesterday I read the following

http://links.techwebnewsletters.com/servlet/MailView?ms=MzQ0OTU2NzkS1&r=MjIxNTUyOTM2MgS2&j=NjI1NDMxNTES1&mt=1&rt=0

Yes, it refers mostly to women and computer science but the underlying finding is important.

Some people feel uncomfortable in a geeky environment and a screen with boot messages feels geeky to them. Of course to us geeks it's cool but othe people get put off by that.

Again, this is NOT my opinion, just showing the research (Which IMHO, can be only argued against with more research). The results make sense.

Raul Suarez

Technology consultant
Software, Hardware and Practices
http://rarsa.blogspot.com/