[kwlug-disc] android phone, anyone?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Dec 17 18:31:19 EST 2009

Robert P. J. Day wrote, On 12/17/2009 1:58 PM:
>   seriously contemplating an android phone and since i have a fido
> plan for my current nokia, i was thinking i'd stick with either rogers
> or fido and go with an HTC dream.
>
>   as i was chatting with the wireless wave guy at the mall just now,
> he *strongly* recommended bell and a samsung galaxy for a couple
> reasons:

A buddy of mine will never buy another Samsung phone. I suspect,
however, he's mostly whining because of the proprietary charger
connection. If you stick with a usb charging port, you should be good.

Sticking with rogers/fido is good. Drop your phone, slap your sim card
into another (even a WalMart special), and get on with your day. Or
just keep your old phone around for backup. Dropped mine in the drink
one day while on vacation, popped into WalMart, got on with the rest
of the vacation.

Rogers Pay As You Go - $8 1/3 / month.

i.e. As well, just want to play, test, investigate - get a 2nd SIM
card. Stick it into the USB stick for your laptop, or something. Or,
if laptopping, call forward your current number to the other, put your
current sim into the laptop (take advantage of your plan minutes,
etc.), and the spare into the phone - maintain your ability to
make/receive calls while the laptop is on the net.