[kwlug-disc] android phone, anyone?

Gary Walsh gwalsh at notw.ca
Thu Dec 17 17:13:57 EST 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 13:58 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> seriously contemplating an android phone and since i have a fido
> plan for my current nokia, i was thinking i'd stick with either rogers
> or fido and go with an HTC dream.
>
>   as i was chatting with the wireless wave guy at the mall just now,
> he *strongly* recommended bell and a samsung galaxy for a couple
> reasons:
>
>   * he claimed that samsung phones were far superior in terms of
> quality than HTC and, based on the model i played with for a few
> minutes, i'd have to agree -- it just *felt* more solid.  guy also
> claimed that a number of HTCs they'd sold had come back for repair
> already.
>
>   * he claimed that bell had just done a massive upgrade of their
> wireless infrastructure and now had superior coverage to rogers.
>
> http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone-rogers/bell-hspa-network-confirmed-for-november-4th-iphone-shortly-after/
>
>   thoughts?  who out there already has an android phone?
> recommendations?

You might want to hold off for a couple of months, as there are quite a
few new Android phones coming out in 2010.  Whatever phone you choose,
you are going to be stuck with a 3 year contract unless Wind Mobile
starts offering Android phones at some point.  The Android in Canada
blog (http://www.androidincanad.ca) is a good place to keep up on the
latest news.  There are several other Android blogs like Phandroid.com
with a more US and global focus.

--
Gary Walsh <gwalsh at notw.ca>