[kwlug-disc] DailyTech - Concerned About Privacy? You're Probably up to no Good, Says Google CEO

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Wed Dec 9 18:04:33 EST 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-09 at 17:27 -0500, unsolicited wrote:
> Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 12/09/2009 4:54 PM:
> > Re: Analytics. Use NoScript as someone said earlier. Not only does it
> > prevent Google tracking, but it makes your browsing faster by blocking
> > all that Javascript crap that sites have and blinking flash ads too.
>
> I've got adblock and flashblock loaded in firefox, and achieve much of
> what you describe already. Noscript adds to this party / isn't some
> javascript a good / useful thing?

NoScript has the functionality of Flashblock in it, plus for
silverlight, java, <video>, and other plugins. You can quickly toggle
scripts on the current page, or on a per-domain bases, or whitelist
domains you frequent. Javascript is useful, and I quite often enable it
for sites I frequent even if they still work without it simply because
it makes things feel all "2.0ish".

You should be able to set noscript in a more permissive default and
simply blacklist certain domains you don't trust.

--
Chris Irwin
e:  chris at chrisirwin.ca
w: http://chrisirwin.ca