[kwlug-disc] New locations brainstorming

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Dec 9 17:03:32 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 4:50 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> Paul Nijjar wrote, On 12/09/2009 3:50 PM:
>> On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 03:52:38PM -0500, unsolicited wrote:
>>> Paul Nijjar wrote, On 12/09/2009 10:26 AM:
>>  (3) Parking must be free and nearby. Which probably takes out places
>>>  like the Library, UofW, and WLU.
>> Since the parking lot went under construction, we could not manage
>> this for the old 43 Queen St location.
> Not sure I agree. And what I mean is, there are a number of surrounding
> (city?) public free lots in the area that I, at least, was rolling with.
> And, our best guess is that this is a temporary (1 year?) issue?
> Or am I missing something.

I have always managed to park for free at the Working Centre location
despite the parking lot closure. Mostly on the other side of the street.

> Not that I want to go back to the Working Centre, as it was. Background
> noise level was (becoming?) insurmountable for me. But that may be just be
> my particular situation. Perhaps addressable, for all I know. e.g. more
> effective mic'ing (microphoning?) for the back listeners, perhaps a portable
> noise screen (room divider?) is kicking around (left open a little bit for a
> corridor?). A giant white noise generator pointed at the cafe?

I don't want to go back to the Working Center either because of the
cafeteria noise. Last Monday at Heuther reminded me about that noise with
all the noise coming from downstairs.

>        Not that there aren't audio issues, for me personally, at the
> Huether, but I don't think those issues are location specific. I don't mean
> to besmirch Khalid, but I just can't hear him consistently. No foul to
> Khalid, I am VERY grateful for his presentations. He's just a very quiet
> speaking person. With a LOT of VERY WORTHWHILE things to say, and listen to.

Point taken. You are not the only one to say that. Sorry about that, but I
can't help it though (unless I am yelling at the kids, and I can't do so for
2 hours!)

Having a mic will sure help, but we only have that at The Working Centre I
guess ...

> Would a different night make the Working Centre more palatable? e.g. The
> first Tuesday of a month, or something? Would a different night make more
> venues palatable?

Worth exploring. I doubt the cafeteria at TWC will be less busy on another
day ...

Heuther's space is good. If we can stay there, that would be nice (thanks
John Kerr).