[kwlug-disc] Benefits of using alternate firmware on Linksys WRT54G

Adam Glauser adamglauser at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 11:13:33 EST 2009

Lori Paniak wrote:
> Are you talking about wireless performance?  If so, I doubt you will see
> much, if any improvement with alternative firmware.  The most stable
> wireless packages in alternative firmware for Linksys devices are based
> on the Broadcom binary blob - same as the proprietary firmware.

Good to know.  I'm talking about routing performance in general.  I
suspect the main problem is with a strange network configuration on the
ISP's end which is losing packets.  However, connection problems seem to
increase with number of users (both wired and wireless), so I am
suspicious that our router might be playing a part in our problems.