[kwlug-disc] Hardware raid vs linux

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Aug 20 20:35:36 EDT 2009

Performance is not the main reason. Hardware RAID may be better than
software in most cases, at least with high end cards.

Low end cards are not true RAID, and performance is not very good, compared
to software (Linux based) RAID.

The one big advantage of md (multiple disks) vs. RAID, is that you are not
dependent
on a specific hardware for what goes on the disk. The disks are still
accessible if your
controller fails

If you have the disks, then do full mirroring with MD, and that is it.

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.