[kwlug-disc] Hardware raid vs linux

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Aug 20 21:00:37 EDT 2009

Let's be clear ... I, and I believe John, are talking RAID 5.

Not RAID 0, 1, or JBOD.

And if we're not talking hot swappable, I'm not entirely sure I get
the point of RAID. At time of non-hot swappable RAID failure, you're
looking at at least one, and probably two reboots - one to get the bad
disk out, and a second to put the replacement in. Frequently, the two
are hours or days apart. e.g. Run to your local stores to find a
replacement, it's late at night and they're closed, or out of stock ...)

As per list threads not long ago, short of hot swappable RAID 5, it is
debatable how valuable RAID is at all, given the size and speed of
today's SATA II drives. Good points on both sides, but it is a loud
debate.

The real question you have to answer: How long can you be down? What
is your RTO and RPO? Once down, how long can it take to recover? And
how good, and how recent, are your off-line backups?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recovery_time_objective
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recovery_point_objective

For JBOD, I'm not entirely certain I get the advantage, vs. software
'volume sets.'