[kwlug-disc] For the College/Netbook people in the mailing list

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 20 16:42:01 EDT 2009

My older son is about to start University (WLU).

He is enrolled in a Biology program. Now it comes the time to choose a computer for him.

I'm thinking that in a Biology program he will mostly be taking notes and of course browsing and such but that's just a guess.

Still remembering my time at University and all the walking I did between classes and hanging out with friends, I'm thinking that portability and battery life are the most important features, hence I'm thinking a netbook.

So if you are in College right now in a non-computer-science program or have friends/children there. Do you think that a netbook with good battery life will be good enough? (e.g. ASUS 1000HE) or would a full fledged notebook be preferable even if it breaks his back.

Even if you are not in College but are using a netbook. Do you think that it is practical to be taking notes and use as a day to day computer?

He would still have a desktop in case he needs a larger screen.

 Raul Suarez

Technology consultant
Software, Hardware and Practices
http://rarsa.blogspot.com/