[kwlug-disc] kernel-upgraded etch system won't boot with new 2.6 kernel

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sun Aug 23 10:31:59 EDT 2009

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009, Kyle Spaans wrote:

> I've had something similar to that happen once. Did anyone on the
> internet suggest that your GRUB ``menu.lst'' could be the problem?
> I've had directories fail to mount because in my bootloader conf I
> had incorrectly specified which partition on the hard drive
> contained /boot, and which contained /.

  for the sake of closure, i did eventually track down the problem,
and lori paniak gave me a hand resolving it.  it's all explained here:

  upon a regular dist-upgrade to etch, then a kernel upgrade from
2.4.27 to 2.6.18, the new kernel simply didn't see the hard drive.
and further upgrading to the etchnhalf 2.6.24 kernel didn't solve
anything.  as it turns out, all those newer kernels were broken in
terms of a particular raid controller -- naturally, the very one on
the system in question.

  upgrading yet again to a 2.6.26 kernel fixed everything.

rday