[kwlug-disc] definition of debian's "stable"?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sun Aug 16 12:40:20 EDT 2009

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009, Andrew Sullivan Cant wrote:

> Yup.
> If you install from the the latest ISO ...

that being 5.0.2

> you should get the same system as if you installed from the first
> ISO ...

that being 5.0

> and ran 'apt-get dist-upgrade'.

or possibly just "apt-get upgrade" or "apt-get safe-upgrade"?  after
all, if you're staying within the bounds of a single stable release,
what is the benefit of "dist-upgrade" over "safe-upgrade"?  would
there actually be a difference between those two?

> I am not so familiar with Fedora terminology, but I had thought that
> a "re-spin" was a custom distro for a specificy purpose. Similar to
> the Ubuntu customized versions. (e.g., Kbuntu, mythbuntu) If a
> re-spin is just a new point release is there a term for a custom
> distro?

  as i understand it (and i'm fairly sure i do), a "spin" is a
customized version, like the XFCE spin or something like that.  a
"respin" is an updated version that incorporates all of the updates
since the original release, just to save you all that downloading