[kwlug-disc] General Thunderbird development ?

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Fri Dec 19 11:47:28 EST 2008

As your questions point out, there's a lot of complex issues I haven't
addressed :).  Most of that's due to the complexities of email, along
with the issues of trying to integrate email (remote server app), the
crm (another remote server app) and thunderbird (local app).

What I'm trying to get is the simplest and least expensive way to get
the integration done.  I don't want to reinvent stuff that's in
thunderbird and I want to stay as far away from the complexities of mail
as I can.

I'm thinking John's solution may be the way to go.  If I just put a
button on thunderbird that says 'send this email to the database', then
as client emails come in, I just hit the button and it gets pushed to
the database over the network.  The database can then just import the
email basically as a static text file and attach it to the record.  I
think that way the only hiccup I have is ensuring that the database is
smart enough to assign the email to the right record.

I don't think I want to get into the database polling the mail server
and funkying around with it that way.  That's actually the cause of all
my problems with my current system.  And if a large company with
millions of dollars in funding can't get it right, I don't want to tread
in those waters :).