[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday, 7pm: More Origin Stories, GNU Parallel tutorial (Jan 2024)

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sun Jan 7 01:05:34 EST 2024

Hello people of Earth in the year 2024. We at the Kitchener-Waterloo
Linux User Group would like to invite you to our first meeting this
year.

Last January we held some "origin story" presentations, where people
talked about what got them into open source and where it has led them.
We are revisiting that topic with three (maybe four?) presentations
from a new group of folks. Although there are similarities, it has
been interesting to see the different ways people have gotten into
Linux and open source.

The second half of the meeting will consist of an extended tutorial on
GNU Parallel by Andrew Cant, based on the following Youtube playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpaiGYxkSuQ&list=PL284C9FF2488BC6D1 .
As its name suggests, GNU Parallel is a commandline tool that allows
you to run processes in parallel. If you enjoyed the short
presentation on xargs from last September's presentations, this might
be up your alley as well.

In other news: there will likely be a restaurant meetup for January,
but the date and location have not been finalized yet. You can keep an
eye on the website, and there will probably be a second announcement
on this mailing list for that event.

As always we are looking for presentations. They can be in-person or
virtual, and can be about any topic related to free and open source
software. We offer a low-stress environment for sharing your
enthusiasm and practicing public speaking skills. If you have
something you would like to present (or know of others who might want
to present) then get in touch.

Our meeting will again be in hybrid format. Online you can join us at
https://webconference.kwlug.org/room/kwlug . In-person you can join us
at the Dana Porter Library, LIB 329. Location details are
here: https://kwlug.org/node/1345 . The meeting starts at 7pm.

- Paul
--
Events: https://feeds.off-topic.kwlug.org