[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday, 7pm: pass, Helm charts (May 2022)

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Apr 30 02:35:32 EDT 2022

Oh, passwords. How we love them. We love them so much we have dozens,
if not hundreds of them kicking around. Once upon a time we thought we
could reuse them, or choose something memorable like our street
address combined with the name of our first pet, but those
stick-in-the-mud security people say that we need to make every
password different and complicated. Sooner or later passwords will
be replaced with retinal scans and blood-flow authentication, but
until that happy time we still need to manage all these randomish
strings. Shall we store them in the cloud? Put them in our web
browsers? Bob B has another idea. We can store our passwords in
directories of files, and use UNIXy commands to set and retrieve them.
Enter pass (https://passwordstore.org), the UNIXy password manager.
Apparently pass is the cool new way the Linux nerds are managing their
passwords, and if you don't want to be a square I guess you had better
let Bob show you what it is all about.

In other nerd fashion news, Kubernetes has apparently become so
complicated that it needs a package manager. Helm is that (one of
those?) package managers, and Helm charts are its packaging format.
John Steel has been helming some charts lately, and he will fill us in
with what we need to know to package up software for the Kubernetes
ecosystem.

In other news, we are still on the prowl for presentations
through the summer. Do you have something to present? Please get in
touch.

This month's meeting will be held on our BigBlueButton server:

https://webconference.kwlug.org/room/kwlug

The meeting will start at 7pm, and the virtual doors will open for
chitchat around 6:45pm or so.

- Paul
--
Events: https://feeds.off-topic.kwlug.org